NSW has recorded another 239 new cases of coronavirus as harsher restrictions are announced for eight council areas in Sydney.
Of the new cases announced on Thursday, at least 88 were infectious in the community for part or all of their infectious period.
Another two deaths were also confirmed – a woman in her 90s and a man in his 80s.
The total number of deaths in the outbreak now stands at 13, while the total number of cases is 2810.
“Based on those numbers we can only assume that things are likely to get worse before they get better given the quantum of people infectious in the community,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said on Thursday.
“Can we stress again, as we have in the last weeks – most of these transmissions are occurring amongst households and in workplaces, but also in health settings.
“If you’re going to a pharmacist or a GP, make sure you don’t have symptoms, make sure that you’re asking for medical help from home if you need help whilst you have symptoms.
“We cannot continue to see transmissions increase in these settings.”
From Friday, new mask, shopping and exercise rules will come into place for all residents living in the eight high-risk council areas – Liverpool, Fairfield, Canterbury-Bankstown, Parramatta, Blacktown, Cumberland, Georges River and Campbelltown.
Exercise and outdoor recreation must now be done within 5kms of the person’s home.
Individuals must also not travel further than 5km from their home for shopping.
Masks must be worn at all times outside the home.
The 5km rule also applies to singles bubbles.
Berejiklian added there will be an increased police presence that will focus on compliance.
“If we want to get out of this lockdown as soon as we can, we can’t afford setbacks,” she said.
The fine for not wearing a mask where required will also increase to $500, from $200 and police have been given new powers to shut down businesses, construction sites and public premises where there is a risk to public health.
The new rules for those council areas come after a four-week extension of the lockdown was announced on Wednesday.
The lockdown will run until at least August 28.
Record high number of cases
The number of new cases confirmed on Thursday is a record daily high for NSW.
The previous daily high since the start of the pandemic was 212 cases, recorded on March 28 last year.
There are currently 182 COVID patients admitted to hospital, with 54 of those being treated in intensive care.
Of those in ICU, 22 require ventilation.
Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said many of the COVID patients in hospital are young.
“We’ve got two in their teens, eight in their 20s, four in their 30s and three in their 40s,” she said.
“It’s not only an old person’s disease.
“My message is get vaccinated.”