The state reported 136 local cases on Friday, a new daily high for the current outbreak which started in mid-June.
It prompted Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant to advise for the first time that the outbreak was a “national emergency”.
While health authorities are concerned the virus is spreading particularly quickly among communities in Sydney’s west and southwest, NSW Health late on Friday flagged another area of “great concern”.
Thousands of residents in the Southern Highlands have been ordered to remain vigilant for symptoms after fragments of the virus that causes COVID-19 were detected in the local sewage network.
The discovery was made at a sewage treatment plant at Moss Vale during routine monitoring.
“There are no known cases in this area, which is of great concern,” NSW Health said in a statement.
“Everyone in the Moss Vale area is asked to be especially vigilant for any symptoms that could signal COVID-19, and if they appear, to immediately be tested and isolate until a negative result is received.
“If symptoms appear again, please be tested and isolate again.”
Anyone who attended the following venues is a close contact of a confirmed case and must get tested and isolate for 14 days, regardless of the result:
- Belmore, Rust Bucket, Shop 21/335-337 Burwood Road, Saturday 17 July, 11:05am to 11:25am
- Earlwood, Mr Liquor, 197 William St, Saturday 17 July, 5:30pm to 5:40pm
- Campsie, 85C Daily Café, 216 Beamish Street, Sunday 18 July, 7:35am to 7:55am
- Lakemba, Afghan Sufra, 122 Haldon Street, Sunday 18 July, 12:00pm to 1:00pm
- Lakemba, Paradise Grocery, 117 Haldon Street, Sunday 18 July, 12:00pm to 1:00pm
- Burwood, Leaf Cafe, Burwood Westfield, Sunday 18 July, 1:00pm to 1:05pm Monday 19 July, 12:15pm to 12:35pm
- Belmore, Afford Disability, 38 Redman Parade, All day on Monday 19 July, Tuesday 20 July, Wednesday 21 July, Thursday 22 July
- Burwood, Pharmacy 4 Less, Westfield Burwood, shop 147/100 Burwood Road, Monday 19 July, 12:50pm to 1:00pm
- Campsie, Campsie Family Medical Practice, 248 Beamish Street, Tuesday 20 July, 10:00am to 11:00am
- Campsie, Man Hing Chinese Takeaway, Campsie Centre, 14‑28 Amy Street, Tuesday 20 July, 11:00am to 11:10am
- Marulan, KFC, Lot 20 Hume Highway, Tuesday 20 July, 1:30pm to 1:50pm
- Lakemba, Westpac, 78-80 Haldon Street, Wednesday 21 July, 12:20pm to 1:45pm
- Belrose, BWS, Glenrose Shopping Village, 56-58 Glen Street, Wednesday 21 July, 2:00pm to 10:00pm
Anyone who travelled on the following public transport routes is also a close contact and must follow the same advice:
- Bus 902, From Heathcote Road opposite Seton Road, To Bigg Street opposite Liverpool Station, Friday 16 July, Departing 4.47pm, Arriving 4.54pm
- Bus T80, From Liverpool Station, Stand B, To Hinchinbrook T-way, Friday 16 July, Departing 4.59pm, Arriving 5.16pm
Those who attended these venues are a casual contact and must immediately get tested and isolate until a negative result is received:
- Fairfield, Commonwealth Bank, Shop 12 Neeta City Shopping Centre, Smart Street, Tuesday 13 July, 1:10pm to 1:40pm
- Kirrawee, Woolworths, 28-34 Flora Street, Tuesday 13 July, 3:45pm to 5:15pm
- Lakemba, Woolworths, 2/26 Haldon Street, Tuesday 13 July, 4:35pm to 4:55pm Wednesday 14 July, 5:00pm to 5:25pm Thursday 15 July, 9:40pm to 9:55pm
- Campsie, Big W Campsie, cnr Amy and Evaline streets, Wednesday 14 July, 11:15am to 11:30am
- Campsie, Chemist Warehouse, 14 Amy Street, Wednesday 14 July 11:35am to 11:55am
- Granville, Woolworths, 6 Louis Street, Wednesday 14 July 12:15pm to 12:25pm Thursday 15 July, 4:50pm to 5:05pm Saturday 17 July, 4:00pm to 4:15pm
- Lakemba, Aldi, 212-226 Haldon Street, Wednesday 14 July, 6:55pm to 7:15pm
- Pemulwuy, Woolworths, Thursday 15 July, 6:30pm to 7:30pm, Friday 16 July, 6:50pm to 7:30pm
- Fairfield, Ozie Spares, 6/181 Sackville Street, Friday 16 July, 2:00pm to 3:00pm
- Macquarie Park, Macquarie Park Vaccination Centre, 18 Eastern Road, Friday 16 July, 6:50pm to 8:30pm
- South Windsor, Messina Pizza and Pasta, Shop 3, 518 George Street, Saturday 17 July, 3:30pm to 9:00pm Sunday 18 July, 3:30pm to 9:00pm Monday 19 July, 3:45pm to 8:30pm
- Revesby, Western Union, 64 Beaconsfield Street, Sunday 18 July, 10:00am to 11:00am
- Revesby, Woolworths, 60 Marco Avenue, Sunday 18 July, 1:00pm to 1:30pm
- Castle Hill, Chemist Warehouse, Hills Super Centre, 18 Victoria Avenue, Monday 19 July, 9:50am to 10:05am
- Wollongong, Woolworths, 63 Burelli Street, Monday 19 July, 4:30pm to 6:00pm
- Pheasants Nest, Caltex, Southbound, Hume Highway, Tuesday 20 July, 7:45am to 7:55am
- Casula, Costco Fuel, 20 Parkers Farm Place, Tuesday 20 July, 8:30am to 8:40am
- Campsie, Woolworths, 68-72 Evaline Street, Tuesday 20 July, 10:00am to 11:00am
- Toongabbie, Woolworths, 17-19 Aurelia Street, Tuesday 20 July, 10:55am to 11:20am
- Fairfield, Fairfield Fruitland, 13-15 Kenyon Street, Tuesday 20 July, 11:15am to 11:35am
- Merrylands, Triple 333 Medical Centre, 333 Merrylands Road, Tuesday 20 July, 11:45am to 12:15pm
- Tahmoor, Woolworths, Shops 5 and 6, Tahmoor Town Centre, Tuesday 20 July, 12:00pm to 12:30pm
- Tahmoor, Subway, Shops 5 and 6, Tahmoor Town Centre, Tuesday 20 July, 12:10pm to 12:25pm
- West Hoxton, Campisi Continental Butchery, 1/218 Fifteenth Avenue, Tuesday 20 July, 1:15 PM to 1:30 PM
- Fairfield Heights, Yanni Al Basha, 176-186 The Boulevarde, Tuesday 20 July, 2:00pm to 2:10pm
- Mittagong, Station Coffee House, 12 Bowral Road, Wednesday 21 July 6:30am to 8:00am
- Mittagong, Mittagong Cakes and Pies, 12b Bowral Road, Wednesday 21 July 6:30am to 8:00am
Anyone who travelled on the following public transport routes is also a casual contact:
- Train T4 Line, From Central, To Miranda, Saturday 10 July, Departing 10.19am, Arriving 11.06am
- Train T4 Line, From Central, To Hurstville, Saturday 10 July, Departing 3.39pm, Arriving 4.20pm
- Train T4 Line, From Hurstville, To Central, Saturday 10 July, Departing 6.02pm, Arriving 6.35pm
- Train T1 Line, From Toongabbie, To Pendle Hill, Friday 16 July, Departing 10.26am, Arriving 10.49am
Anyone who attended one of the above venues in the past four days must also get another test on day five from the date of exposure.
“Wear a mask around others and limit your movements until you get another negative result. You should continue to monitor for symptoms and if any symptoms occur, get tested again,” NSW Health said.
For a full list of COVID-19 exposure sites, visit the NSW Health website.
– with AAP