Water park forced to closed after hoards of vandals descend with ‘sole intent’ of trashing equipment

0
24


A water sports centre has been forced to close at its ‘busiest’ time after a huge gang of youths descended on new equipment with the ‘sole intent’ of trashing it, according to staff.

The group of ’20 to 30 youths’ spent Sunday, July 18, causing havoc, say members of staff at Salford Watersports Centre.

The centre runs the affected Salford Wakepark, based in Salford Quays, calling the behaviour ‘demoralising and upsetting’.

The damage came on the very same day that a 19-year-old man tragically died in the water at the quays.

READ MORE:Police blast sunbathers spotted swimming in Wigan quarry where two teenagers were killed

“On Sunday, our wake park obstacles suffered damage once again,” said staff in a message on the centre’s Facebook page.

“The team worked so hard last year to repair the park from the last time they were damaged by youths/young adults.

“This year we invested in re-setting the anchors to make them more secure from the last time this happened and watching 20 to 30 youths climb on top of them with the sole intent of trying to tip them up, and also some adults around encouraging this is demoralising and upsetting.

“Not only is it shocking behaviour, it’s also incredibly dangerous and worrying to see.

“We urge people to be sensible and respectful. Its not worth the risk.”

The sports centre says it is now working with police to find the culprits.

But ‘for the foreseeable future’, the centre will have to close the wake park during its ‘busiest period’.

“Thank you for those that sent in images of the youths/young adults, we also have CCTV footage, we are working with GMP to try and identify them,” staff added.



Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

“The wake park will be closed for the foreseeable future until we can repair them, we hope this to be soon but it’s a very difficult operation during our busiest period.

“All bookings including the junior summer holiday courses that are affected will be contacted and refunded.”

Greater Manchester Police has been contacted for comment.

See the latest court and crime news in your area by receiving email updates.





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here